For many people the internet and other new technologies and media are a normal part of life. Sadly, however, it has also given opportunities for criminals and those who might want to harm us. For instance, new crimes have emerged like cyberbullying, stalking on social media and “revenge porn“. If you use IT and / or social media it is important that you understand how to keep yourself safe online and how to use social media like Facebook safely.
There are some simple things you can do to stay safe on-line:
Make sure computers have a standard firewall and use anti-virus protection.
- Never give your password to anyone else
- Change your password regularly
- Use different passwords for different sites.
- Only use secure websites and trusted providers
- If you are booking tickets on the internet, eg for a holiday make sure the company is legitimate
Protecting your children
- Activate child safety features in your internet browser and keep an eye on who they are talking to in chat rooms and on-line
- Make sure you talk about internet safety with your children
Visit get safe on line https://www.getsafeonline.org/
If you are a victim of abuse, you may need to use extra care to keep safe on-line and hide your tracks