Police Complaints

If you are unhappy with how the police have dealt with you or with your case, you want to complain.  The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and sets the standards by which the police should handle complaints. It is independent, making its decisions entirely independently of the police.
Police forces deal with the majority of complaints against police officers and police staff. The IPCC considers appeals from people who are dissatisfied with the way a police force has dealt with their complaint. Since November 2012 the responsibility for determining appeals is shared with local police forces.
You can find out more about the IPCC on their website:
(Note: The IPCC can offer assistance if you have any language barriers).

An alternative way to complain is to go directly to the police force you wish to complain about (for example Staffordshire Police):

Staffordshire Police pledge to consistently deliver to the highest standards. They do acknowledge that there are occasions when they get things wrong. If you are not satisfied with the service you have received or are unhappy with the conduct of a police officer or member of police staff, you can make a complaint.

You can contact 101 or you can email them at PSU@staffordshire.pnn.police.uk

For further information about how to make a complaint directly to the police: https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/article/1994/Making-a-Complaint

If you would like help to make a police complaint Staffordshire Victims Gateway can help. Call us on 0330 0881 339.
If you are struggling to get police updates you can ask for them to be sent to you by email, or you can phone 101 to speak to the Police Officer dealing with your case or you could use this link: http://www.staffordshire-pcc.gov.uk/

Complaining directly to the police force directly:

Tel: 101 and ask for the police force you wish to be connected to.
OR make a complaint in writing by emailing: PSU@staffordshire.pnn.police.uk

Ask the Police:

For further information you can go to Ask the Police where a lot of questions have already been answered:
Web: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q299.htm

Independent Police Complaints Commission:

The below link will take you through the process and give you access to the online complaints:
Alternatively if you do not have internet access you can contact the IPCC and make a complaint via their telephone number:
Tel: 0300 020 0096
Email: enquiries@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk