Who are we?
The Staffordshire Victim Gateway and Restorative Justice Service is a free and confidential local service that provides information, advice and practical and emotional support to all victims of crime in Staffordshire. We support victims from the point of reporting a crime to the Police, throughout their entire Criminal Justice journey and to the point where they are able to regain the control over their lives again.
The Gateway will also support victims who for whatever reason have made the difficult decision not to report their experience to the Police but may still need support to help them come to terms with what has happened to them. As a service we acknowledge that anyone can become a victim of crime. It affects people in many different ways, for some this can be a difficult and often distressing experience that can leave them feeling angry, afraid or just unsure of what to do next. Others may feel numb and it can be some time before the true impact of what has happened is felt.
We know that the prospect of appearing in court, and the process that precedes it should victims be required to, can be a confusing and daunting experience. We can help them prepare for this and make sure that all the support and any special measures needed are in place to help them do this. Our service is committed to helping individuals and families to cope with their experience of becoming a victim of crime and to help them to recover from any harm caused and we will do that in the way most appropriate to them and their circumstances.
Victims eligible for services from the Victims Gateway will:
- Have recently become or, have been a victim of a crime in the past regardless of what that crime was and whether or not they reported it to the Police
- Live within the county of Staffordshire
- Be an immediate family members of a young person under the age of 18
- Be an immediate family member of an adult victim who is deceased as a result of a crime
NOTE: We can support child victims under the age of 15 with the consent of a parent or carer
The Gateway unfortunately cannot provide a support service to:
- Victims of Anti-Social Behaviour, where no crime has been committed.
- Witnesses of crime.
- Victims of crime who live outside of Staffordshire, even if the crime was committed within Staffordshire.
- Individuals who have contact with the Police as a result of their vulnerability, but are not a victim of crime.