Theft is a crime where possessions or money are stolen from you.

    Even if the value of the goods or money is not big, it can still be disruptive and distressing financially and emotionally.

    Some of the most common acts of theft are  theft of purses/wallets and mobile phones. We have included a number of Fact Sheets below, which will give you more information.

    If you have been the victim of theft, it is important to protect yourself from on-going fraud, including identity theft.

    Check if any important and personal documents have been taken, including your passport, bank details or credit cards / benefit papers or driving license documents.

    Alert your bank and building society as soon as possible.


    Download Our PDF Factsheets


    Stolen / Lost Mobile Phone

    You can register your mobile phone on Immobilise ( if your phone is lost or stolen but then gets found, police can use Immobilise to return it to you (Immobilise is the world’s largest FREE register of possession ownership details).

    Purse / Wallet theft

    Call your bank and credit card firms immediately so they can put a stop on cards.If your mobile was stolen too – get it blocked as soon as possible. When you contact the police, take note of your crime reference number. You will need this for insurance purposes and your bank will ask for it.

    Theft of a Vehicle

    Contact the police straight away if your vehicle has been stolen, they will issue you with a crime reference number; you will need this number when you call your insurance company. and your insurance company straight away. The police will tell DVLA about the theft and if the vehicle is found.

    Contacting Us

      If you report a crime to Staffordshire Police, they will ask you if you are happy for your details to be passed on to the Staffordshire Victim Gateway and Restorative Justice Service. We will automatically receive your contact information and a brief overview of your experience and the crime, if you don’t specify to Staffordshire Police that you don’t want us to make contact with you. If you initially opted out of the service, you can self-refer at any time.

      We can provide you with advice, information & emotional and practical support. We can liaise and advocate on your behalf, and introduce and support you to specialist services, who can help you gain the relevant support that can help in your recovery. We will be with you every step of the way. Our support is free and confidential, regardless of whether you have reported a crime or incident to the police, we are here to support you.

        Crime Prevention Information

          Additionally, it may also be useful for you to have advice on crime prevention that may help you to protect yourself in the future. You can find lots of useful information on local crime prevention by clicking here:

          Is it an emergency?

            If you are in immediate danger and support is needed right away, call Staffordshire Police on 999

            If you feel it is a non-emergency, you can log incidents that have happened by calling Staffordshire Police on 101

            If you have a hearing impairment, you can use their textphone service on 18001 101